Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Andrew's quilt

I just finished a quilt for Andrew's birthday (shhhh....he doesn't know about the quilt yet.)  My boys have asked me for quilts before, which makes me happy.  This is the first I've made.  I've always struggled to come up with something that I think they'll like....and like for a while.  For example, a couple years ago Andrew would have loved anything Superhero.  Today he would be embarrassed to have a Superhero quilt.  I couldn't convince myself to spend time and $$$ on a quilt that they might hide away in a year.

So the conclusion I came to was to
1- make a simple quilt that wouldn't take me a lot of time and
2- choose one fabric that they'd love and find coordinated pieces to go with it.

Turns out, I love how it turned out.  I chose "Star Wars" hoping it'll have a little more staying power.  (We all know adults who still love Star Wars.)  I just did 5 wide strips of fabric, added a reverse applique "A", and had it quilted in swirls and diamonds.  I love the diamonds, particularly on the corduroy section.

Anyway, that's a lot of talk for such a simple quilt -- but here it is:


1 comment:

  1. Great quilt. Adults who like star wars, how embarrassing. ;)

    ReplyDelete