Monday, May 6, 2013

What I've been thinking about....

A couple of months ago some neighbors of our decided to move to St. George.  3 days later this young father, Kevin, suffered a major brain hemorrhage.  He was flown back to SLC and after tests and surgery, it was discovered that he had 12 brain tumors and one large liver tumor.  The cancer is Stage 4, terminal -- a couple of weeks ago he started chemo and radiation.  They're hoping this will keep him alive for a while.

This family is so cute -- his beautiful wife lives life with such faith, and has the most genuine smile.  His kids are the similar in age to mine -- we used to car pool the kindergartners together.

The medical costs have been expensive, of course.  They do have good insurance.  But some of the more daunting costs are those of long-term care.  He is at home with his family now, and doing quite well as he learns to live with partial paralyses.

Anyway, one effort to help with costs is an online auction where many friends and businesses have donated items.  There are some great things -- including some great gift cards.  I also donated some cards and quilted items.   Knowing that my skills are not on a professional level, I'm hoping the recipients won't be disappointed!  :)

I wanted to let you know of this auction so you can bid if you'd like to.....but just now I discovered that the auction ended yesterday!  oops!  I didn't notice the end date, and I we were having too much fun at Sister's Weekend to send it out over the weekend.  Bummer.

There is another way to help, though -- there is a drive where you can just donate money.  To do this, go to: http://www.youcaring.com/medical-fundraiser/kevin-norris-family/49342

You can check out details on their lives -- it really is inspiring:  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kevin-Norris-Cancer-Battle/156251287869758
Reminds me to be grateful and brave.

I'll end with a few pictures of the kids primary classes -- someone in my ward started a "Team Norris" thing where she's asked people to take pictures holding "Team Norris" signs to show their support.  Our primary did this.  See if you can spot my kids:




No comments:

Post a Comment