Thursday, April 14, 2016

Wonky and Improv Quilts

For Spring Break this year we went to San Diego.  I took a couple of quilts to bind and decided I'd take the pictures there.  Palm trees are not something we see around here, so it's an easy reminder of where I was when I finished these quilts.  

This first one is a wall hanging -- wonky quarter log cabins in red, white, and blue.  I wanted something to hang for the summer season.  I used the "Half Way Home" pattern -- free on the Robert Kauffman site.  I really love the original made of chambrays and denims.


I quickly quilted it before we left for San Diego.  I kind of wished I had done it a little more densely.  Someone commented once you can add quilting after binding....I may have to try it.  I chose "waves" for the quilting -- reminiscent of a waving flag.


Next is a quilt that I made for my niece.  She lives across the country, and I would like to give it in person.  So it may be a while.  I hope she isn't reading this....I don't think she is.  :)  Anyway, it is a pattern from the book Improvising Tradition.  I really like this book because it is full of modern quilts using improvisation -- but they are structured enough that I can imagine and plan for the end result.  Anyway, my niece is very stylish and young and I hope she will like it!


The back:


A close up of the quilting -- which I did myself.  Another large-ish quilt with my own FMQ.  Not perfect, but not bad.  :)



2 comments: