Tuesday, September 27, 2016

BOM Sample Quilt - Q3 Finish

Here is my 2016 Block of the Month quilt that I did with a local quilt shop, Quilts Etc.  I am really happy with how it turned out.  This BOM club is a little different than others I've seen.  They only give you the patterns for the blocks, not for the setting.  So each person comes on the last day with different layouts.  It is so fun to see all the different settings. 

I came up with my setting after seeing a similar one in the Sister Samplers book.  I modified it to look like one of the blocks in this Frivols quilt.  


I also tried a "Quilt as you Go" technique, also modified a bit.  A common QAYG technique is to quilt the individual blocks, then add sashing to piece them together. What I did was quilt each quadrant, then added the big white sashing strips to join them.  It worked out well and was so much easier to quilt than wrestling the entire quilt through the machine.

Here is the back -- pieced together with a Table Runner Kit and some extra fabric from the Good Neighbors line by Amanda Jean Nyberg.  I got them all for a very nice price at Connecting Threads.  My layout is a little wonky, but it matches.  :)


And here is a close up of the quilting -- once again, all straight line.  The QAYG technique made it easy to do each quadrant at a diagonal, then the sashing at a horizontal/vertical line, all without having to pivot to change directions.


On the above photo you can see that I used the wrong white in the border.  It looks so obvious in the daylight -- not obvious at all in my basement sewing room.  :)  When I first started adding the sashing I noticed the difference.  I went out and bought some of the correct white and made the middle portion match.  But I didn't want to remake the triangles on the outside.   

And here is my cute boy who wanted to pose with my quilt.  We were glad his socks matched the quilt so well.  :) 


And here's a bonus picture of some blocks I made this month for the charity bee do. good stitches


I am linking up to the 2016 Finish-A-Long at A Quilter's Table.


2 comments:

  1. I love red and white quilts! Congratulations on your finish, and thank you, on behalf of the 2016 global FAL hosts, for taking part!

    ReplyDelete