Last year I made several blocks from a Summer Sampler Series by Fresh Lemons Quilts and Freshly Pieced. I had fun picking out my fabrics from my stash. I actually completed 12 blocks but didn't like a few of them because of my fabric chocies. So I included 9 in the quilt. The layout was inspired by a quilt in the book "Vintage Quilt Revival", a book written by the same ladies who put together the Summer Sampler Series.
What I learned:
1. Paper Piecing! Following this series was a great way to learn paper piecing. I had never done it before and simply following the tutorials provided. It was fun to learn something new.
2. Another QAYG method. This Quilt as You Go method was one I learned from some online videos by Candy -- her method is done in columns, with the backing, no sashing required. (I tried another method recently without the backing.) So once again, I couldn't just follow the exact tutorial because I wasn't doing a quilt with columns and no sashing. But I managed to break down the process by doing each row in the center, then added each triangle background. I would like to try this method again with a quilt that is laid out in simple columns and rows.
3. More HMQ practice. My Home Machine Quilting is getting better, but still needs practice. I definitely prefer practicing this without the bulk of the entire quilt...thank you QAYG method. I did try a new triple zigzag stitch on the gray portion. It was pretty easy -- just like straight line quilting but with a little more going on. I've seen something similar on other blogs.
I love the blocks on point. I am putting together another sampler quilts from my BOM (Block of the Month) class at a local store. I am going to do the same setting. So hopefully you'll see that in the next few weeks.
What I learned:
1. Paper Piecing! Following this series was a great way to learn paper piecing. I had never done it before and simply following the tutorials provided. It was fun to learn something new.
2. Another QAYG method. This Quilt as You Go method was one I learned from some online videos by Candy -- her method is done in columns, with the backing, no sashing required. (I tried another method recently without the backing.) So once again, I couldn't just follow the exact tutorial because I wasn't doing a quilt with columns and no sashing. But I managed to break down the process by doing each row in the center, then added each triangle background. I would like to try this method again with a quilt that is laid out in simple columns and rows.
3. More HMQ practice. My Home Machine Quilting is getting better, but still needs practice. I definitely prefer practicing this without the bulk of the entire quilt...thank you QAYG method. I did try a new triple zigzag stitch on the gray portion. It was pretty easy -- just like straight line quilting but with a little more going on. I've seen something similar on other blogs.
I love the blocks on point. I am putting together another sampler quilts from my BOM (Block of the Month) class at a local store. I am going to do the same setting. So hopefully you'll see that in the next few weeks.
I am linking up to My Quilt Infatuation's Needle and Thread Thursday
and Finish it Up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts.
This is really pretty, love the fabric choices.
ReplyDeleteOh I love this!
ReplyDeletePretty! I love the colors!
ReplyDeleteI love the way you have set it on point in the final quilt. Great work!
ReplyDeleteI really like your quilt. The colors, the blocks, the whole layout. Nice!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful quilt! I love how the entire block is on point.
ReplyDeleteThis looks great, so crisp and fresh. I love the layout.
ReplyDeleteWow! A beautiful finish. Your color choices really speak to me. And sounds like it was quite the learning experience too! Did you find you prefer the QAYG method over a more "traditional" method of quilting the entire quilt at once? I'm very intrigued by QAYG, but have yet to try it.
ReplyDeleteI definitely prefer the QAYG Methods I have tried. All the bulk of an entire quilt kind of drives me crazy -- I feel like I cant keep it all under control and it ends up pulling and getting in the way. Granted, I am new to the actual quilting of quilts -- I used to just piece and send them off to the quilter. Perhaps as I practice more my anxiety will go down and all that bulk won't be such a nuisance. You should try it!
DeleteLove your colors and layout for this quilt. I was just thinking that I have several of these blocks done. I also started two other BOM's that I did in the same fabrics/colors. I need to get that out and work on it. My son needs another quilt for his big bed for this winter. Thanks for the inspiration!
ReplyDelete