Wednesday, August 13, 2014

The BOM Quilt

I attend a Block of the Month (BOM) class at a local quilt shop.  It just occurred to me that although I usually call it by the acronym "B" "O" "M" -- I should be calling it "BOM!"  Would that make me so cool to my boys?  "Hey, I'm going to my Bomb class."

Anyway, this year the theme was "Barn Quilts" so we did all quilt blocks that are found on barns somewhere.  Each month we get 2 new block patterns, a beginner pattern and an intermediate pattern.  I do the beginner version.  The intermediate was fun -- all were barns with little 3" blocks on them.  The part I love most about this class is that they don't give us a pattern for the final quilt -- just the individual blocks.  They do complete a few quilts for ideas, but for the most part people come up with their own.  So next month I will get to see a huge variety of how people put them together.  The first time I attended 3 years ago I seriously couldn't even figure out how they could have all been in the same class!

We could choose from 3 colorways -- Civil War, 30's, and Solids.  Never having made an all solids quilt, I decided on this.  I like the simple, Amish style.



Having just finished the Summer Sampler quilt, I decided to go with the same setting using only 9 blocks.  I'm excited because I'm using corduroy for the corner triangles.  I love corduroy.

I have been trying to figure out how to quilt it -- right now I'm leaning toward a checkerboard pattern, going at a diagonal.  (Does that make sense?)  I am a little unsure what color thread.  All solids, with such contrast.....what would look best?  Would a mid-tone gray work best?  If anyone knows, please tell me!  Oh, and then I will have to decide on a binding.  Black?  Gray?  Pull a color from the center?

I am linking up to WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced Modern Quilts and to Needle and Thread Thursday on My Quilt Infatuation.


5 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous! I like to bind in black so if probably do that or a solid red.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blocks! So neat!!! I have a idea for an all solids quilt too, just need to find the time besides the other quilt projects.
    I would quilt with a mid grey as you suggested.
    Esther

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh!!! I want to hear how you like the corduroy!!! I have a love affair with it, but haven't used it in a quilt. I really want to use it as a backing sometime.

    As for binding...I would go with the black personally. It will allow the center to pop without distracting your eye by a colorful binding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how vibrant the solids look against the black background!

    ReplyDelete